Friday, June 7, 2013

Cookie Monster

I don't like desserts and I am not sure why some people love them so much. I will always choose something savory over something sweet. However, there are days where I do crave something sweet namely a chocolate chip cookie. There are about a thousand recipes claiming they have the best recipe and I have tried many of them. Baking is a science and when you tweak it..it does make a difference whether noticeable or not but the end product does change. The order of the ingredients to the temperature to how you are feeling that day will nake a difference in your baked goods.

I do enjoy baking and it's always been a great distraction from what I am suppose to be doing..usually cleaning my room or finishing up paperwork. I like to bake for others. Honestly, I will not eat a batch of cookies. I usually trust other people and so far I have no complaints on these cookies. So here is my version of a chocolate chip cookie. It's a bit healthier so you can feel less guilty when you have eaten half of the batch. : )


8-10 tablespoon of butter or margarine or coconut oil (softened)
**coconut oil usually will give you a crispier cookie**
3/4 cup of brown sugar (either dark or light )
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
2 1/4 cup of flour (take up 2 tablespoon of flour and substitute with cornstarch)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of salt
1 bag of semi sweet chocolate chip

Preheat oven to 335 F

In one bowl, mix the butter, brown and white sugar. I often forget to take the butter and eggs out earlier. I am not the best at planning. So don't be like me, if you think you are going to bake, take the eggs and butter out so when you are ready, they are at room temperature. Or if you are like me, put the butter and both types of sugar in oven as it preheats. I warn you now, too long in the oven will make your batter too runny. I would say like 2-3 minutes would usually do the job.

Mix until the butter and sugar have become one. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. I would add some of the dry ingredients and mix that with the butter and sugar mixture. I would also alternately add the eggs. So add some flour, mix, add some egg, mix, flour, egg and mix. Remember to add the chocolate chips. Mix everything so that it looks like the chocolate chips would be in each ball of dough.

If you like your cookies, more chewy; cover the bowl with plastic wrap put the batter in the fridge. Some recommend overnight, I don't have that kind of patience. I would say 15 to 20 minutes. I know the cooler the batter, the easier it is to form the balls and for the cookies to keep it's shape. This is especially helpful when making cookies in NYC during summer months. If you aren't patient, then forming the cookie balls after mixing the batter will usually lead you to a flatter and crispier cookie. Also this recipe, the cookies are chewier.

Let's say you magically have some patience and you cooled the batter just a little bit. Time to roll some cookie balls. They go on an ungreased cookie sheet. You can use ice cream scoopers or two spoons or simply your two hands. Try to make the cookie balls the same size. I would say leave about 1-2 fingers space between each cookie ball. If your cookies are too close together, you might end up with one massive cookie or square cookies because you have to cut them to separate them. I notice many people don't care as long as they taste good. So far, I haven't had any complaints.

After you filled a tray, put in oven and bake for 11-13 minutes. Softer cookies will take less time. Check to see how easy it is to lift the cookie off the pan with a spatula. If it sticks then it probably can go back in oven for a minute longer. Be careful, cookies can and will burn quickly. I would recommend pouring yourself a large glass of milk to enjoy with your cookies. Please let your cookies cool just a bit before eating it. If you don't, don't blame me when you burn your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment